segunda-feira, 13 de junho de 2011

American Visa

Let me be honest with you all.


I've never wanted to go to the USA because of the bureaucracy.
A lot of people say that if you are between 20 and 30 and you are not married you don't have great chances...

So here I am to talk about it. I believe that some people think they way I used to... (well, I still think it is a pain in the @$$).



First step -> PATIENCE
You are going to fill a form full of questions that really sound stupid. Don't pay anyone to do it. Although it requires patience, you are able to do it by yourself, even if your English isn't good. Put the mouse over the question and it will be translated.
You also need to submit a picture. I've taken 3 different pics and none worked, so I decided to take a new one there in São Paulo.

Second step -> PAYMENT

You need to schedule an interview in São Paulo, Rio, Recife or Brasília. In order to do it, you have to pay R$38,00... (yes.. just to save a day... you and hundreds of people).
After that, fotocopy all documents that can prove that you won't stay there and have money to afford everything.



Third step -> PAYMENT
(Again) Before going to the interview you need to go to Citi Bank to pay the visa tax. If you are a tourist it costs USD140,00. You have to take your passport when you decide to pay and you can only pay in cash. It cost me R$238,00, less than I'd thought.



Fourth Step -> PATIENCE AND PAYMENT
When the day of your interview arrive, remeber that you should wear comfortable shoes. You'll stand for hours! The whole process took me around 3 hours standing and I was wearing hills.
When the most terrifying part started I decided it was better if we could speak in Portuguese so I could explain better my dad's job if it was asked.

The interview started like this:
-Bom dia, Lígia, qual o motivo da viagem?

 - Turismo.
-Você trabalha?
 - Sim.

- O que faz?
 - Auxiliar de ensino.

- English teacher?
 - Yes.
-Where are you going?
 - To New York.
- Who are you going with?
 - My mother.

- How long have you been teaching English?
 - For 2 years.

- Okay, put you right index finger on that machine and pay the sedex tax before leaving.


I had a file full of documents and stuff like that and nothing was needed. He didn't even asked me who was going to pay for my trip... Maybe he thinks teachers are rich! LOL
To be honest, I think he felt a sense of relief when he was able to speak English and that made him not ask me any proofs. All the people I talked after told me that they had to show some documents.

Well, it is hard to predict what will be asked. I heard some asking if the person had been abroad to any other country, some asked papers to prove that they had car and houses.
It is a matter of being lucky. Anyway, I don't think some people had their VISA rejected today while I was there waiting. The line to pay the SEDEX was just huge!

I don't know if I will be granted a 3, 5 or 10 years visa, but as soon as I receive it, I'll post here to tell you.

Now that all the stress is gone, I do need to save money!!!

Um comentário:

  1. Gosh, I do remember how horrible and tense it was to have petience and money for everything...anyway, it's awesome to listen to "-Ok, just stop by and pay the Sedex".

    ResponderExcluir